COVID-19 | What You Need to Know
What is the coronavirus?
An outbreak of the new coronavirus called COVID‐19 began in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December 2019. The virus causes respiratory illness and has infected thousands worldwide. Cases have been reported in the United States.
What are the symptoms of COVID‐19?
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Symptoms may occur up to two weeks after exposure.
How does it spread?
The virus spreads through the air from coughing and sneezing and also from close personal contact like touching or shaking hands.
How to help prevent the spread of coronavirus
- Follow social distancing guidance by maintaining 6 feet between people
- Wash your hands often
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- When you sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Aim for eight hours of sleep each night
- Eat a well-balanced diet
Where can I find more information?
You can also find more information about how to stay safe during this time at CDC.gov